Friday, January 4, 2008

Online evolution of newspapers

Yet another article on how newspapers are adapting their models for online readers. There’s a quote that really struck me in light of our class material, though:
“I always used to say when I was web editor ‘we’ve got to tell stories in ways the paper cannot tell them.’ So a New York Times reporter, for instance, now is called upon to think about the story in terms of web elements, interactive graphics, video-storytelling, additional photography, perhaps putting more documents up and supporting the story”.

Doesn’t that sound like it’s straight out of the syllabus?

1 comment:

Anke said...

Yes, it does. This class has made me think about how to really take advantage of the internet. Just the other day I was writing a little online story about my recent skiing trip. I included google earth to show the location, flickr, to show my pics, links to the BB I stayed at etc. How long would a letter have been to describe all that. The only thing that was missing was a video clip showing my first run down a diamond trail. Seriously, there are no words to descibe that - only bruises (that have now turned yellow and green) and a proud smile to show for :)