Monday, January 7, 2008

The Holidays are Officially Over

I am so sad today. We are finally taking our Christmas tree down this afternoon. We've kept it up an extra week because my 4-year old can't bear to part with it. Truth is I understand how he feels. I love Christmas not for the gifts (although that's nice), but because it's the one time of year that I get to see my entire family and hear from all my friends. I love receiving Christmas cards and finding out how my friends from college are doing. Sometimes it's the only time we really get to communicate with each other outside email during the year. I truly enjoy Christmas Eve with my family and all of the traditions we've had since I was a little girl.

It's really hard to let go of the one last symbol of the holiday that sits in our living room "the tree". I will miss watching my son run out of his bedroom each morning to flip the switch to turn the tree on. He is still excited each morning to see the lights click on and he says how beautiful the tree is. It's hard to give up something that has brought so much happiness to our house and our family.

As I packed up each ornament today I took a trip down memory lane looking at ornaments that I made as a child to the ornaments that my great-grandparents gave my grandmother when she was a child. Each ornament has a special meaning and memory and I'm a little sad that I won't see them again for another year. I look forward to telling my son where each piece came from and how old it is and I hope that he treasures those memories as much as I have.

I'm not very sentimental about most things, but now that I have a child I appreciate the holidays in a whole new way. This year I'm a little sad to see it all end. - Molly

1 comment:

`*~ said...

I know what you mean...I think rituals are important, and I miss the days when my parents would put up the tree. Now that I'm older, they never do it. Next year is my last chance, b/c my dad has retired and they are selling the house...now that's a moment for sadness! wahhh...